Friday, January 9, 2009

Eclipses and Parched Ground

I find word pictures help my understanding of spiritual truths. I found these in The Divine Will from the Valley of Vision prayer book. Both of these quotes helped me see how I am the one who blocks myself from "increasing in the knowledge of God" (Colossians 1:10 ESV). Even as I am drawn away from Him by my own actions, He draws me back to himself.


(Picture by Alexandra Huckerby & Greg Butler - Antalya, Turkey)

"Show me what sins hide Thee from me and eclipse Thy love."

As I think about my sins - anger, pride, self-righteousness, greed, etc. - hiding God from me, I realize how little regard I have for God and how I want to be:

the one in control (omnipotent)
the one worshipped
the "deserving" one

As I act out of this kind of heart my sin eclipses - blocks out the light of - God's love. I do not glorify Him. I cannot glorify Him, when my sin puts my focus on me.

Thank you, Lord, for Act 2.



"Teach me to believe that all degrees of mercy arise from several degrees of prayer, that when faith is begun it is imperfect and must grow, as chapped ground opens wider and wider until rain comes."



I see the ground drying up, like I remember one time as a child, and cracks opening up between it.

In this quote, I see how God draws me to Himself. As my life dries up, cracking open because nothing I rely upon can fill me, He allows all of my need for Him to be apparent before drawing me again to Himself. Desperately longing for relief, God sends the rain of His mercy and grace, and I wonder why I ever thought anything else mattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment